Friday, August 8, 2008

DisappointmentHisappointment

Dear One:

I write to provide an update on our latest adventures.

1) In late June I accepted a call from the Cypress Ridge Presbyterian Church (PCA) of Winter Haven to become their pastor. CRPC is a member of the SW Florida presbytery which meant that I would have to be accepted by that presbytery to become the pastor of CRPC. All my life I have been in the Presbytery of Central Florida. Normally, a transfer of this nature is simple, quick and painless, but I expected it may be more difficult for me, and so it proved.

2) On July 19 I was presented before a special meeting of Southwest Florida Presbytery. I was examined for 1.5 hours and then debated for 1.5 hours before being told that my theology exam was not passed. The presbytery told me I was free to meet with their examining committee and try again that way.

3) On Wednesday, August 6, I met with the examining committee (6 men) of the Southwest Florida Presbytery. I had been warned ahead of time that the makeup of the committee would not be in my favor, but I felt I owed it to the church to try. After a 2.5 hour exam focusing on only three issues, my exam was again not approved.

4) On Thursday August 7, the elders of CRPC called to let me know that they saw this as the Lord’s leading and were going to release me to continue my search as they continue their own.

What prevented my approval by the SWF presbytery? This can be rather hard to understand. Presbyteries differ from one another in personality. Some are more doctrinally rigid/narrow, some more flexible/broad. The SWF group is in the former category and under the influence of a pastor/professor who is very committed to a cessationist view on spiritual gifts. This is the understanding that so-called “sign” gifts, by which they mean prophecy, tongues, healing, miracles etc. were only for the apostolic age. Since I do not find such a teaching in Scripture and will not assent to it without Biblical grounds, I am seen to be compromising the finality and sufficiency of Scripture and am thus a danger to the flock.

So, how are we doing? Beth is ok. I am bruised, battered, discouraged and heartily disappointed as I did find the body of believers in Winter Haven a delight, and the opportunity to get back in ministry thrilling. I now face the daunting task of starting over again in my search.

Once again, for those who have supported us in prayer, we bring news that is disappointing. Yet our God is a faith-building God and He obviously believes our patience can be stretched a little or maybe a lot further. If you would continue to persevere with us in prayer, we would be so appreciative of that. We want to understand what this latest providence means. Is the Lord possibly challenging us to some change in direction? This is all a part of the journey on which we find ourselves.

One of my favorite hymns says, “I am not skilled to understand what God has willed, what God has planned. I only know, at His right hand, stands One who is my Savior.” And that, ultimately, is enough to know.

Under the Mercy,
Dan (for Dan and Beth) (if you care to respond to dan personally, try dandhendley@hotmail.com

2 comments:

The Georges Family said...

When I was reading this and came to the phrase, "my theology exam was not passed" I nearly choked on my morning bagel. Dan flunking theology? Of course as I read on it made more sense - that the SW presbytery doesn't know a good theology when they hear it. That kind of rigidity should be reserved for the more important matters of faith.

I'm praying for you, Dan, and your family. Perhaps there's a PCA church here in greater Atlanta that needs you...and your theology.

Scott Watson said...

Dan,
Press on....
Your leaning on the Lord in times of dissappointment is very encouraging, to me and others I am sure.
Thanks for sharing...you and teh Hendleys continue in our prayers.
Miss you
Scott